Children’s Garden Classes
Cultivate a love of nature and a connection to plants in your kids by signing up for a Children's Garden class at Brooklyn Botanic Garden. Children aged 2 to 13 can plant their own crops and flowers and harvest them under the guidance of garden instructors.
Select from the programs linked below to see class descriptions and fees. Be sure to note age requirements and other qualifications.
Registrations are processed on a first-come, first-served basis in the order that payment is received; note that Children's Garden classes fill quickly.
A limited number of need-based scholarships are available for Children’s Garden participants, distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. To request an application, please contact Registration at 718-623-7220 or r[email protected].
Basic Program Guidelines:
- Please note that at this time, we are not requiring vaccination for participants. As COVID safety protocols evolve, requirements for future programming may be adapted. Any changes and updated policies will be communicated closer to the start of your program.
- All activities are facilitated outdoors. For the summer program, some classroom space may be used in the afternoons.
- Masks are optional while outdoors in the Children’s Garden, but participants and staff are required to wear masks while inside the Children’s Garden house, where the restrooms are located. Parents, please be sure to send a mask with your child.
- Sanitizing and hand-washing stations are placed throughout the garden.
- If your child is showing signs of illness, they should not attend the program.
- Only one adult should approach the group for drop-off and pick-up. Important note about entry location: Participants enrolled in spring classes that begin at 9:30 and 10 a.m., as well as all summer classes, must use the 455 Flatbush Avenue entrance. This gate opens 15 minutes prior to your program’s start time.
- All lunches and snacks will be eaten picnic-style outdoors.
- Participants will use alcohol-based hand sanitizer before and after snacks.
- All staff members and teen apprentices are required to be vaccinated and have been trained in COVID-19 safety procedures.
Weather Cancellation Policy: Programs take place rain or shine! If the weather is severe, we will notify you 24 hours in advance of your program.
Class Cancellation: Student cancellation at least 10 business days before a course begins will receive a refund, less a $25 administrative fee.
Trees & Saplings
For 2- and 3-year-olds with a caregiver
Learn about the wonders of gardening with your 2- or 3-year-old during this active hands-on program. Our youngest gardeners work with their adult partner to tend to their garden plots, sing songs, taste new foods, and create nature crafts.
Consistent attendance of one adult per child is required. Fee includes one adult and one child. No infants or older siblings, please. All program participants are required to wear face coverings indoors. As COVID-19 protocols are changing, we will provide updates before the start of the program.
We recommend that first-time gardeners and 2-year-olds choose the one-hour class on Wednesdays or Thursdays. Three-year-olds and returners are encouraged to take the 90-minute class on Fridays and Saturdays.
For 4-, 5-, and 6-year-olds
Seeds work together in small groups to care for their garden plots and participate in cooking, exploring the wonderful outdoors, crafting, and other fun activities. This is a drop-off program.
Children must be entering pre-K (or 4 years old) to participate in the fall Seeds program.
For students in or entering grades 1–8
City Farmers dig gardening! Students develop basic horticulture skills to bring garden plots to life with fresh, seasonal vegetables and enjoy crafting, cooking, nature exploration, and other hands-on activities. This is a drop-off program.
Participation is contingent upon registering for the appropriate section by grade.