Greenest Block in Brooklyn
“The contest has caused a resurgence of pride, friendship, and cooperation among the residents.” —2017 participant
Green your block with window boxes!
Block Entry Deadline: June 1, 2021
Photo Submission Deadline: July 18, 2021
This year’s contest
How can we garden together in the time of COVID? Represent your block with a window box!
Inspired by the community care that Greenest Block participants epitomize, BBG is hosting a socially distant Greenest Block in Brooklyn contest that considers the most vulnerable among us.
Make your block proud! Here's how it works:
- Enter the contest. First, a representative from your block or merchant association (informal or ad hoc groups are welcome!) must enter your block in the contest by completing the form linked below.
- Receive Greenest Block emails. The contact listed on your block’s entry form becomes your Greenest Block “captain.” They will receive Greenest Block emails filled with contest tips, announcements, and resources, including information about online workshops.
- Spread the word. Let your neighbors know it’s time to green your block with window boxes!
- Get and share your block’s link for making nominations. In June, each captain will receive a link to a nomination form that is unique to your block and meant to be shared among your block’s neighbors. Every nomination for your block will be made using this link. Any resident of an entered block may make nominations.
- Take photos. Do your best to take a good photo. You can submit up to two photos per window box. At least one photo should show the window box and its plantings in its entirety.
- Nominate your own or your neighbors’ window boxes. You may nominate the same window box for multiple categories. Using your block’s unique online form, nominate as many window boxes as you’d like. You will be asked for 1 or 2 digital photos as well as some additional information for each window box, including anything that you think makes it special. Any participant may have multiple window boxes nominated, but each specific window box should only be submitted once.
Both residential and commercial blocks are eligible to enter the contest.
- Blocks must enter the contest by June 1.
- Anyone on a block that is entered in the contest can nominate window boxes.
- The window box nomination form will be available from June 1 to July 18, 2021.
- There is no limit to the number of window boxes that can be nominated on an entered block.
- Judging will be based on photo submissions only.
- Any container that is window box–sized is eligible. Placement on a windowsill is not required. Even indoor window boxes are eligible.
- Judging criteria in each category include health and vigor of plants, overall design, and resourceful use of plant materials.
- Block and merchant associations will be recognized, but most prizes this year will be awarded to individuals or families who plant and care for the winning window boxes on entered blocks.
- Entered blocks can access online educational workshops about window boxes this spring to connect and learn with neighbors.
This year’s contest features an expanded array of window box categories!
- Best overall window box–residential
- Best overall window box–commercial
- Most window boxes nominated on a single block (awarded to a block or merchant association)
- Best senior’s window box (planted and tended by gardeners 65 and older)
- Best children’s window box (planted and tended by gardeners 16 and younger)
- National Grid Leadership in Sustainable Practices window box award (sustainable practices include subirrigation, drip irrigation, use of plants native to our area, hydroponics, and more)
- Best window box in a community garden
- Best edible plants window box
- Best indoor window box
- Most creative window box
Deadline to enter your block in the contest is June 1, 2021.
Deadline to nominate window boxes: All window box photo submissions must be received by July 18, 2021.
Winners will be announced in August.
Need help? If you or your neighbors need help either taking or submitting photographs, email email@example.com. A BBG staff member will be in touch to help.
View all the blocks that have entered the 2021 Greenest Block in Brooklyn contest. Click the map points to see the names of the registered block associations.
About the Greenest Block in Brooklyn
Round up your neighbors and enter your block in Brooklyn’s friendliest competition.
The Greenest Block in Brooklyn contest is free and open to all residential blocks, commercial blocks, and community gardens in Brooklyn.
The Greenest Block in Brooklyn contest is a project of Brooklyn Botanic Garden and Brooklyn Borough President Eric L. Adams, with leadership support from Brooklyn Community Foundation.
Major Sponsor, Community Greening Programs