Reports to: School Workshop Coordinator and Director of Learning and Partnerships
Term: September 2017–June 30, 2018
Compensation: $20 per hour
Brooklyn Botanic Garden (BBG) is seeking a part-time per diem seasonal lead instructor for three education programs: Exploration Workshops, Project Green Reach (PGR), and Urban Advantage (UA). These programs for grades pre-K through 8 provide one- to two-hour guided tours and hands-on activities at the Garden. Topics focus on botany and plant ecology and make use of BBG’s indoor and outdoor plant collections to support the science curriculum of local public and nonpublic schools.
UA Expedition School Programs:
- Coordinate scheduling of classes requested by teachers with Registration and School Workshops coordinator. Update our shared drive for tracking programs and instructors.
- Communicate with teachers prior to program about logistics and pretrip planning and evaluation after completion of program.
- Manage program supplies, including inventory, and support setup and cleanup of classroom on program days.
- Communicate with and support instructional team; coteach with another instructor when needed.
- Maintain data about programs in BBG records.
- Train new instructors on facilitation of UA Expeditions and provide ongoing support for content and material changes to the curriculum.
School Program Seasonal Instructor:
- Assist the School Workshops coordinator in the facilitation of the Exploration Workshops. Provide backup teaching for Exploration Workshops and PGR tours.
- Monitor programs while in session and inventory potting materials and props.
- Assist in setup and cleanup with instructor team on day of program. Troubleshoot issues in the coordinator’s absence.
- Attend and facilitate training sessions and refresher sessions for Exploration Workshops and PGR tours.
- College-level studies in natural science, environmental studies, education, or a related field
- Experience working directly with children
- Experience with middle school grade learners a plus
- Ability to obtain security clearance from the NYC Department of Education for working with students
How to Apply:
Email your résumé, cover letter (including availability), and the names of two references with contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure School Programs and UA Lead Instructor is clearly stated in your cover letter as well as in the email’s subject line.
Brooklyn Botanic Garden is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer