Reports to: School Workshop Coordinator and Director of Learning and Partnerships
Duration: September 2017–June 30, 2018
Brooklyn Botanic Garden (BBG) is seeking a part-time per diem seasonal instructor for three Children’s Education programs: Exploration Workshops, Project Green Reach (PGR), and Urban Advantage (UA). These programs for grades pre-K through 8 provide one- to two-hour guided tours and hands-on activities at the Garden. Topics focus on botany and plant ecology and make use of BBG’s indoor and outdoor plant collections to support the science curriculum of local public and nonpublic schools.
Schedule: Flexible per diem schedule, depending on instructor availability and program registrations: 2–4 days per week, Tuesday–Friday; 3–5 hours per day, starting at 9 a.m.
- Actively participate in direct teaching in classrooms and greenhouses, and lead one group of students on a Garden tour per class program.
- Assist coordinators of Exploration Workshops, Project Green Reach, and Urban Advantage with preparation of materials and coordination of Garden Guide volunteers.
- Support volunteers, responding to questions and coordinating tour logistics among team members.
- Help set up lesson materials and assist with cleanup after each lesson.
- College-level studies in natural science, environmental studies, education, or a related field
- Experience working directly with children
- Experience with special needs populations or teaching in an outdoor setting a plus
- Ability to obtain security clearance from the NYC Department of Education for working with students
How to Apply:
Email your résumé, cover letter (including availability), and the names of two references with contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure School Programs Instructor is clearly stated in your cover letter as well as in the email’s subject line.
Brooklyn Botanic Garden is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer