Reports to: Project Green Reach Coordinators
Term: October 2017–early June 2018
Work Schedule: Four days a week (when school is in session); six hours per day. Weekly schedule is flexible, depending upon program cycle.
Brooklyn Botanic Garden (BBG) is seeking a part-time seasonal instructor to teach and assist in the administration of Project Green Reach (PGR), an inquiry-based, hands-on science outreach program for students in K–8th grade and teachers in Title I schools in Brooklyn.
- Teach basic botany, science, and horticulture in grades K–8 in Title I schools in Brooklyn and guide tours for students at BBGBrooklyn Botanic Garden.
- Communicate effectively with teachers, BBG staff, and Garden Guide volunteers.
- Assist with preparation and leading of teacher workshops.
- Assist with vegetable garden maintenance in the fall and spring.
- Take inventories and manage and prepare materials and supplies.
- Provide other essential tasks as needed.
- BA or BS in education, environmental education, botany, horticulture, or a related field
- One year formal or informal teaching experience
- Excellent writing and speaking skills; proficiency in a second language a plus
- Excellent interpersonal skills for working with students, teachers, BBG staff, and volunteers
- Competence with computer word processing, spreadsheets, internet research, etc.
- Willingness and ability to work outside in all weather and to perform horticultural tasks for garden maintenance (lifting, bending, carrying, digging)
Compensation: $18 per hour
How to Apply:
Please email a résumé and cover letter—with the subject line indicating the title of the position, Project Green Reach Seasonal Instructor—along with details pertinent to the position, including availability, and the names of three references with contact information to email@example.com.
Brooklyn Botanic Garden is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer